Enhanced Biodegradation Solutions
Today’s modern landfills are engineering marvels that are designed to capture biogas from decomposing materials and convert that gas into energy. But the lifespan of most landfills is less than 100 years, and therefore the majority of the biogas from decomposing plastics would not be captured during the average life of a landfill.
There is a solution however.
Our enhanced biodegradable plastic solution is designed to decompose in a modern landfill within its expected lifespan. This means that the biogas from our plastic packaging can successfully be captured and turned into renewable clean energy which is then returned to the electrical grid.
This isn’t just great for the environment, it’s great for consumers too. Our biodegradable plastic packaging can be tossed right into the garbage where it ends up in a modern landfill to produce biogas and in turn, create clean power. That means that we can protect the environment without changing our habits.
In North America, we have over 660 capped Landfills that are designed for our plastic packaging solution. The USEPA describes landfill energy as a “significant energy resource” that is used to generate electricity, replace fossil fuels in industrial and manufacturing operations or used as alternative vehicle fuels. According to the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Information Administration, the solid waste industry currently produces nearly half of America’s renewable energy! Using our plastic packaging solution will help reduce our dependency on non-renewable fossil fuels, help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and allow more plastic waste to biodegrade and turned into clean energy.
- Almost any material can use this additive technology to enhance the biodegradation process
- ***Does not require change in consumer behavior
- Standardized testing available: ASTM D5526, ASTM D5511, ASTM D5988 and BMP (Bio-Methane Potential) biodegradation validation
- Cost Effective
- Easy to implement drop-in additive – added at 1%
- Landfill biodegradable – from microbial process
- Does NOT breakdown from oxygen or UV (not oxo-degradable)
- FDA compliant and safe for food contact
- No loss in physical properties or shelf-life
- Maintains recyclability
- Provides an end-of-life solutions for both recycling and/or landfill options
- Biodegrades in both anaerobic and aerobic environments
- California packaging legislation: California law prohibits the sale of plastic packaging and plastic products that are labeled with the terms ‘biodegradable,’ ‘degradable,’ or ‘decomposable,’ or any form of those terms, or that imply in any way that the item will break down, biodegrade or decompose in a landfill or other environment. These restrictions apply to all sales in or into the State of California, including such sales over the Internet.